What's new in DeskProto Version 4.1
New features in DeskProto V 4.1 (released in 2006 - now obsolete).(May 2006) We are very glad that the new Version 4.1 has been released, as the development has taken more time than expected. DeskProto V 4.1 is a free update for all registered users of DeskProto 4.0 (email us when you have not yet received it). For users of older DeskProto versions the upgrade is not free (see the Price info page).
Completely new features:
- The Freeform segment has been requested by many users. It offers the option to draw any freeform boundary in the top view of the part, and limit the toolpaths to only the area within this boundary, which may of course save a lot of time. It can be set in the Segment tab of the Operation parameters. You can even import a 2D DXF file to define the boundary.
- A 2D wizard has been added, as 2D milling can be difficult to find in DeskProto.
- Border settings "No extra for cutter" and "stay within segment" are now exact, using one extra toolpath with a different path-distance. This works great when using both Roughing and Finishing while Two Sided milling.
DeskProto toolpaths for detailing a fish model, using the new Freeform segment to exactly define where to machine. Fish model used by courtesy of Sensable Technologies, Inc. (click on the image for a larger size)
Improvements for heavy calculations:
- Better predictability for memory intensive jobs: the user can decide whether or not to start the calculation, based on ample information as supplied in a dialog.
- Faster toolpath calculations: for standard cutters up to twice as quickly, for multiple diameter cutters and/or collision check situations the improvement even is better.
Improvements for NC file and file output:
- Support for USB machines for the NC output, using the machine's printer driver. This works great for the new Roland machine MDX-40 and JWX-10. See Preferences -> NC output.
- When multiple NC files are written by one Write NC command (for instance when two Operations use different cutters), the names of the operations are added to the filename. This makes it far easier to see which NC file is for which purpose.
- When the Plunge Rate is set, more feedrate reduction is applied to movements that are not vertical.
- Roughing added for 2D milling, including peck drilling for drilling movements.
Improvements in the user-interface:
- Complete mouse-based view control without screen button use: left mouse button = rotate, press middle mouse button (mouse wheel) is pan, rotate mouse wheel is zoom.
- Pressing Cancel during a calculation now immediately responds (multi-threading).
- Graphics screen is updated also during some other activities (multi threading)..
- Lines (names) in the Tree editable conform Windows conventions.
- And many improvements in the dialog layouts.
- DeskProto can be called with command line parameters for automatic calculations. This now also supports calculation of multiple parts. Plus: now also DPJ file as command line parameter supported.
- Save Geometry As now can be done including Rotation, translation, etc, up to support blocks (all optionally).
- Preview option for "Add geometry".
- The DeskProto preferences are stored in the Registry. Now these settings can be saved in a file, for backup, and for easy transfer to different PCs. See Tools... (Options menu).
- Plus many, many small bugfixes and improvements.
DeskProto LiteFor DeskProto Lite [now obsolete, see the DeskProto Entry Edition] a new Version 4.1 has been developed as well. DeskProto Lite is basically the same as DeskProto Full, only part of the Parameter tab pages is not present (part parameters and operation parameters). It is meant for home users and has a much lower price.
DeskProto V4.1 Lite includes the 2D wizard just mentioned, however does not include the Freeform segment.